Unauthorised Encampments: what is the answer?

Unauthorised Encampments (UE) are a site on which people have set up home on land without the landowner’s consent; this can include both private and local authority land and the responsibility for dealing with a UE rests with the landowner.

Where a UE occurs on private land, the land owner can use various common law rights to recover their land and when it occurs on land owned by the local authority, local police and the authority will work with other agencies to balance the needs of travelling and settled communities.

Sage Patel of the Dispute Resolution and Employment team at Invicta Law delivered training to the Kent Secretaries meeting to lawyers from District Councils in Kent on UEs on 4th December. It was well received and opened up a debate regarding whether a Section 78 application to the Magistrates Court is the answer to the issue of Unauthorised Encampments.

Section 78 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 refers to ‘Orders for removal of persons and their vehicles unlawfully on land’ and can only be used by local authorities. It allows the authority to make an order requiring the ‘removal of any vehicle or other property which is so present on the land and any person residing in it’.

There is uncertainty amongst authorities about the best solution for Unauthorised Encampments; debates have explored whether or not there will ever be one, or if it will remain an ongoing problem, in which the local authority will continuously be subject to the costly and timely issues they cause.

For more information on Unauthorised Encampments and other areas of Gypsy and Traveller law, contact Sage Patel, or download our scheme leaflet.


Contents of this article are intended for general information purposes only and shall not be deemed to be, or constitute professional or legal advice.  Invicta Law cannot accept responsibility for any loss as a result of acts or omissions taken in respect of this article.

Dispute Resolution and Employment News

The NAGTO Member Professional Development Seminar

The Parental Bereavement (Pay and Leave) Bill Achieves Royal Assent

New Acas Guidance on Employment References

Trespassers causes serious problems at major development site in Kent

Pre-action protocol for debt claims

If you have a problem with trespassers on your land and would like to arrange for an informal discussion about your options and how we could help you, please contact our Senior Solicitor, Sage Patel at shejal.patel@invicta.law or on 03000 416553 or download a copy of our Gypsy and Travellers Scheme leaflet:


Keep in touch

signup for our latest news and resources

By signing up you agree to receive information and news about Invicta Law services, for further information please review our privacy policy.